"We need 5 constanents and a vowel!" - Wheel of Fortune host | "Ummm ... okay ... Z, 4, Q, another Q, ahhhh ... a third Q and the Batman symbol." - Peter Griffin, Family Guy

2017 (12)

Chicago (1)
Miami (1)
Naples (FL) (1)
Philadelphia (1)
Tampa (1)

< Home Again, Home Again (jiggity jig) | Mario Lemieux Retires >

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Travel Log - Day 0 (Flights)

# Posted by Joel Dixon at 25/01/2006 00:53:00
Updated by Joel Dixon at 16/04/2016 10:44:37

(note: if you get bored reading this, or any other travel logs - a few Chuck Norris Facts might help. i.e. Chuck Norris counted to infinity - twice)

I've (finally) decided to find the time to share my honeymoon holiday experiences with this limited audience. As we managed to get through a lot in the 18 or so days, I've decided to blog each day as one entry. I was going to wait until I had a desk on which to put my computer (for comfort reasons) before starting this - but I also want to blog before I forget all of it. Here it goes:

Bell's mum drove us to Melbourne airport nice and early, so we could have lots of time to wait. Our flight set off at 12:20pm (midday), we were to fly for something like 15 hours and would arrive in America at around 7 in the morning. I figured I should try to sleep as much on the plane and I wouldn't have to worry about all those bologna stories about "jetlag".

The plane was actually nicer than I had thought I would get in economy class. TV screen on the back of each chair and a modest amount of room (I could actually stretch my legs out most of the way). While waiting for the evening meal, we watched the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory remake, which I didn't like much at all - Gene Wilder's version is safe.

After the evening meal (airline food wasn't too bad) we watched Cinderella Man - a very good movie, though I'm not the only person that questioned the choice of title.

View of US
Believe it or not, this is the view of America from the plane

When we finally landed at LA airport, we had around 2-3 hours to kill before our flight to New York. First thing we did - visit McDonalds. Even since I was a kid and my aunt brought home a McDonalds menu from Thailand, I dreamed of travelling the world sampling crazy McDonalds meals such as a Samurai Pork Burger. Although now McDonalds isn't my number 1 priority for travel - I still wanted to check out the local fare.

So from the McDonalds in LA Airport I bought a vanilla milkshake and a sausage, egg and cheese McGriddle. Firstly, in Australia we have McDonalds thickshakes. In America, they are "triple-thick milkshakes" which are actually thicker than our supposed thickshakes. But when the confused Australian accidentally orders a thickshake, the helpful McDonalds employee looks at him like he'd asked for a small serving of frozen abortion offcuts (with no ice). Secondly, the McGriddle would be very nice - if it wasn't for the wierd, pancakey / syrupy, floppy and sweaty bun - which probably best resembles Peter Griffin's man-rack.

McGriddle Me This
McGriddle me this - who the fuck eats these?

When we got onto the plane destined for New York, we remembered what our travel agent said about Thanksgiving time being busy. The plane was packed, mainly with noisy families. I was seated next to a old, overweight, smelly man - which made the 5 hour flight seem like sitting through an Avril Lavigne concert. This was definately the worst flight of the trip - and by the time we arrived at JFK airport - I felt like complete shit, which was odd as I thought I had left all of that in the airport toilet (to my upmost displeasure).

So we finally arrived at JFK at around 8pm and got to our hotel room at around 10:30pm - 28 hours after leaving our house in Melbourne. Our first impressions of New York - cold!

View from Hotel
Our "view" from our New York hotel room

This is the 1st in the Honeymoon Travel Log series
Day 0 - Travel Log - Day 0 (Flights)Day 1 - Travel Log - Day 1 (New York, New York)Day 2 - Travel Log - Day 2 (Thanksgiving)Day 3 - Travel Log - Day 3 (I can't believe it got colder)Day 4 - Travel Log - Day 4 (What is the deal with "New" York anyway?)Day 5 - Travel Log - Day 5 (J-Dix on the six)Day 6 - Travel Log - Day 6 (Niagara Falls, eh?)Day 7 - Travel Log - Day 7 (Wet Wet Wet)Day 8 - Travel Log - Day 8 (New York, New York ... again)Day 9 - Travel Log - Day 9 (Best NHL Game Ever!)Day 10 - Travel Log - Day 10 (Pittsburgh at last!)Day 11 - Travel Log - Day 11 (Best NHL Game Ever - Mach II)Day 12 - Travel Log - Day 12 (Mr. Dixon goes to Washington)Day 13 - Travel Log - Day 13 (Mr. Dixon ... stays in Washington)Day 14 - Travel Log - Day 14 (Washington Zoo-lander)Day 15 - Travel Log - Day 15 (A Day at the Musuems)Day 16 - Travel Log - Day 16 (Worst NHL Game Ever)Day 17 - Travel Log - Day 17 (A kid in a candy-filled toy store)Day 18 - Travel Log - Day 18 (The only game that really matters)Day 19 - Travel Log - Day 19 (Fare thee well America) Back to Top

Comments are currently disabled for this entry

Pittsburgh - For some hockey (why not?), 2017
Philadelphia - Not that sunny, 2017
Miami, Naples and Tampa - Beaches, Babe and a Baby Sloth, 2017
New York - Third time's a charmed lamp, 2017
Pittsburgh Return - Fleury, Fleury, Fleury!, 2017
Chicago - Blackhawks, Bulls and a bean, 2017
Marc-Andre Fleury still giving high fives to his injured buddy